The cheese tortellini obsession continues. It is a serious problem for at least a few of my New Year’s resolutions.
However, if one of your New Year’s resolutions is to cut back on the eating out and enjoy more yummy homemade meals with your family, then, Baked Cheese Tortellini in Vodka Sauce is for you. It’s easy. And, your family will LOVE it.
- 1.5 lbs Cheese Tortellini (1 package of the Costco two-pack or find other varieties in your grocery’s refrigerated deli section)
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (I used the food processor)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used the food processor)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb mild Italian sausage links, sliced and cut in half (I used 4 Johnsonville links)
- 1 (16 oz) jar tomato-based pasta sauce (I used Organic Bertolli Olive Oil, Basil and Garlic)
- 1/4 cup Vodka
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
Step 2: Over medium heat, brown sausage pieces, onion and garlic until sausage is cooked through.
Step 3: While sausage cooks, begin cooking Tortellini according to package directions. Some only take 2 minutes! Drain and set aside. Keep pasta pot handy.
Step 4: When sausage is cooked, turn heat down to medium-low and add pasta sauce, vodka, milk and salt and pepper. Add few pinches of red pepper flakes if you’d like a little heat in the sauce. Simmer 5 minute then turn off heat.
Step 5: Put cooked tortellini back into the empty pasta pot. Slowly pour in vodka sauce and toss to coat. Toss in 3/4 cup Mozzarella. Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking pan. Cover with remaining cheeses and bake for 30 minutes.
Step 6: Let pasta dish cool for 5-10 minutes after cooking before serving. Enjoy!